How long does it take?
Upper Abdominal Lift Cosmetic Surgery is a major cosmetic surgical procedure taking around 2-3 hours. Dr Goldman performs Upper Abdominal Lift often as a day procedure within an accredited hospital facility under general anaesthesia. In intensive cases or if there are other health problems, an overnight stay may need to be arranged.
It is imperative that all options are considered in detail before making a final decision. Dr Goldman will review your areas of concern and recommend the procedure that will work best for you.
What is the structure of a typical Upper Abdominal surgery?
The surgical method used depends on the individual patient.
The general conduct of surgery is as follows:
- Dr Goldman will mark and measure the skin and fat to be removed before any anaesthetic drugs are given.
- An incision along the pre-marked lines is made.
- Dr Goldman separates the skin from the underlying muscle layer, and the skin flap is removed.
- Finally, the wound is stitched, dressings are applied, and a temporary drain-tube may be inserted to drain excess fluid from the surgical site.
Dr Goldman always uses delicate, internal and dissolving sutures to close all wounds.
- Week two: In the second week following your upper abdominal lift you will be able to shower.
- You may be required to wear a compression garment for four weeks following your cosmetic surgery.
- You should commence walking as soon as possible after your procedure – this will assist to reduce swelling, maintain muscle tone, and lower the chance of blood clots.
- You will need to avoid heavy lifting for a couple weeks, until your stiches have healed.
- You should avoid vigorous exercise for approximately six weeks.
- It is recommended that patients take two weeks off work following the cosmetic surgery to recover. If your job involves any form of lifting, bending or exertion, you may need more time away from work.
- While some people return to work after two weeks, others may need to take three or four weeks to rest and recuperate.
You will be reassessed by your Cosmetic Surgeon Dr Goldman 14 days after your cosmetic surgery when the dressings are removed. No sutures (stitches) need to be removed as Dr Goldman uses delicate internal, absorbing sutures.
Further appointments will be made for you to see Dr Goldman both six weeks and three months from the date of your cosmetic surgery.