What is an upper abdominal lift?
How does an upper abdominal lift work?
A reverse abdominoplasty removes excess fat and skin above the navel that cannot be treated effectively with a conventional abdominoplasty.
Should you choose liposuction or an abdominal lift?
Liposculpture / Liposuction could be a suitable alternative and is a less invasive procedure with minimal scarring. Liposuction is generally more suitable for younger patients with good skin elasticity.
If there are large fat deposits or excess skin, it is likely that you will require an upper abdominal lift cosmetic surgery rather than liposculpture. If the amount of loose skin/fat is not significant, a mini upper body lift may be possible. However, your surgeon will thoroughly go through this important choice with you.
How long does it take?
Upper Abdominal Lift Cosmetic Surgery is a major cosmetic surgical procedure taking around 2-3 hours. Dr Goldman performs Upper Abdominal Lift often as a day procedure within an accredited hospital facility under general anaesthesia. In intensive cases or if there are other health problems, an overnight stay may need to be arranged.
It is imperative that all options are considered in detail before making a final decision. Dr Goldman will review your areas of concern and recommend the procedure that will work best for you.
What is the structure of a typical Upper Abdominal surgery?
The surgical method used depends on the individual patient.
The general conduct of surgery is as follows:
- Dr Goldman will mark and measure the skin and fat to be removed before any anaesthetic drugs are given.
- An incision along the pre-marked lines is made.
- Dr Goldman separates the skin from the underlying muscle layer, and the skin flap is removed.
- Finally, the wound is stitched, dressings are applied, and a temporary drain-tube may be inserted to drain excess fluid from the surgical site.
Dr Goldman always uses delicate, internal and dissolving sutures to close all wounds.
Why have an upper abdominal lift?
There are many reasons people choose to have an abdominal lift. To make the best choices and get your desired results, the knowledge and experience of an experienced cosmetic surgeon is essential
To remove excess fat and skin after gaining weight
To remove loose skin after losing weight
To remove fat deposits in the upper abdomen area
To improve skin elasticity if you are an older patient
If there is persistent upper midsection laxity after an abdominoplasty operation
Why choose Dr Goldman?
Meet your breast augmentation specialist surgeon now
Risks of upper abdominal lifts
While a majority of patients do not experience complications, it’s important to know the risks that can occur with any cosmetic surgery procedure. You will be able to discuss any concerns you may have at your consultation with Dr Goldman.
There will be visible scarring with Upper Abdominal Lift Cosmetic Surgery although Dr Goldman works to minimise scarring as much as possible. The main upper abdominoplasty scar can be kept within the boundaries of the breast crease beneath the breasts but will extend out onto your sides or even around onto your back depending on the extent of your upper abdominal lift.
With a mini upper body lift the wound the scar is mainly confined to the crease underneath the breasts. It will be visible in the region between the breasts for about 3-4cm. Scars begin to fade and flatten from approximately three months to two years. Poor scar healing and wider scarring are more common in smokers.
Bruising and numbness often occur with the upper ab lift procedure, and will be more severe in some people than in others. These side effects are unavoidable but Dr Goldman will do everything in his power to minimise and reduce discomfort.
As with any cosmetic surgical procedure, although uncommon, excessive bleeding following surgery may cause swelling and pain.
UPPER ABDOMINAL LIFT AFTERCARE
Dr Goldman and his staff are committed to ensuring you achieve the best results from your cosmetic surgery by offering you the highest level of professional care and ongoing support.
- It is likely that you will feel some pain and discomfort for the first few days after your surgery. It is also likely that your upper abdomen will be swollen.
- We will ensure that you have the necessary pain medications, and you will be monitored very carefully and seen by Dr Goldman on a regular basis to provide maximum comfort.
- Week one: After your upper abdominal lift cosmetic surgery, you will have dressings covering your wound which will restrict your ability to shower. During this period, you will be limited to a sponge bath.
- Week two: In the second week following your upper abdominal lift you will be able to shower.
You may be required to wear a compression garment for four weeks following your cosmetic surgery.
- It is recommended that patients take two weeks off work following the cosmetic surgery to recover. If your job involves any form of lifting, bending or exertion, you may need more time away from work.
- While some people return to work after two weeks, others may need to take three or four weeks to rest and recuperate.
- You should commence walking as soon as possible after your procedure – this will assist to reduce swelling, maintain muscle tone, and lower the chance of blood clots.
- You will need to avoid heavy lifting for a couple weeks, until your stiches have healed.
- should avoid vigorous exercise for approximately six weeks.
You will be reassessed by your Cosmetic Surgeon Dr Goldman 14 days after your cosmetic surgery when the dressings are removed. No sutures (stitches) need to be removed as Dr Goldman uses delicate internal, absorbing sutures.
- Further appointments will be made for you to see Dr Goldman both six weeks and three months from the date of your cosmetic surgery.
DR ROBERT GOLDMAN
Dr Robert Goldman FRACS (Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons), MB, ChB, B.Sc (hons) is a Specialist Surgeon with a focus in Cosmetic Surgery with over 35 years of experience. As well as being a Specialist Surgeon, Dr Goldman continues to specialise as a surgeon in women’s breast health.
Specialising in both of these select fields is rare, and ensures that Dr Goldman will take care of both your Cosmetic Breast Enhancement aspirations, as well as your overall breast health.
A consultation with Dr Goldman will always include a complimentary medical breast assessment, which ensures total breast health prior to proceeding with Cosmetic Breast Enhancement.
Aftercare is also an essential part of Dr Goldman’s professional service to his clients with a personalised follow-up plan provided at your consultation.
Dr Goldman is happy to answer any questions you may have about the procedure during your consultation and will offer extensive reading and educational material to take home to assist you in the education and decision-making process.
Dr Robert Goldman
Upper Abdominal Cost Perth
Dr Goldman is a registered specialist surgeon and conducts the entire consultation himself.
Consultation fee is $200 (which can be eligible for Medicare rebate)During your consultation he will be able to discuss your options going forward, including costs for upper abdominal lift and payment plans.